Saturday, May 16, 2009

Sales and Deals: Sample Sales

One of my favorite things about living in NYC is the amazing sample sales that occur year round. I can’t count the times I’m away at school and think to myself, “NO, why do I have to miss this one!?!” Now, I’m home for the summer and ecstatic to go sample sale searching. Sample sales can be hard work. Many times you have to dig or even fight your way through them to get what you want.
These are my tips to have an efficient sample sale trip:

1. Map It Out: As a native New Yorker, I always swear I know where I am and where I’m going. Although it’s hard for me to admit, sometimes I don’t. If you take me out of my native SoHo, I might not know where exactly everything is (Hey! It’s a big city!). Don’t hesitate to use Google Map or ask someone on the street for directions. Time is money, and those extra five minutes might’ve cost you your coveted Botkier marked down 60%.

2. Plan Your Time: Try going to sample sales at off hours. Early in the morning or early afternoon would probably work best. Avoid rush hours such as lunch breaks, after work, and weekends. Some sample sales will be packed and have a waiting time no matter what, so be prepared.

3. Bring Money: Some sample sales only accept cash. Be aware of payment options before you go, or even bring cash just in case. You never know, their credit card machine might decide to malfunction.

4. Investigate: Look at every little detail of your purchase. Sometimes items are missing parts or damaged. Be sure to examine your item, and then decide if it’s worth it.

5. Enjoy: Sample sales can be a lot of fun, especially when you score a great deal!

I’ll try to post NYC Sample Sale Listings as I find them. So all of you can enjoy them as well! Check back tomorrow for my first batch!


Ever had a sample sale experience? Tell me about it!

0 comments:

Modaholica   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP